Living La Dolce Vita
Rome is a vibrant European capital with the unique appeal of being a vast outdoor museum
recalling 3000 years of the history of Western Civilization.
But although its ancient monuments and art treasures are what
attract most visitors, the city also dazzles with the life in its beautiful piazzas filled
with charming cafés and fantastic restaurants.
Take some time away from the major cultural sites, and experience Fellini's dolce vita
with the beautifully dressed locals sipping espresso, by going on a major shopping spree, or enjoying the latest nightlife hotspot.
Forget Rome's image as a way-too-relaxed or even lazy city. Its bustling local life is now as big an attraction as its wealth of mesmerizing antiquity.
Trastevere, Campo dei Fiore, and
Testaccio attract young and hip crowds, and there is a thriving forward-thinking artistic community. Trendy new shops, restaurants,
and contemporary cultural attractions such as the MACRO museum remind you that this is a city of the present and future, as much as it is of the past.
Top 10 Sights and Attractions
- Admire the SISTINE CHAPEL and some of the greatest art ever made inside the Vatican Museums.
- See the COLOSSEUM, one of the world's wonders.
- Feel the spirituality of ST. PETER'S SQUARE.
- Travel back in time among the ruins of the ROMAN FORUM.
- Stand under the incredible dome of the PANTHEON.
- See some of the best sculptures the world has ever seen at Galleria Borghese.
- Cool down in PIAZA DI SPAGNA and go shopping down VIA DEI CONDOTTI.
- Marvel at the treasures inside Musei Capitolini.
- Visit one of the world's first Christian sites in Basilica di San Clemente.
- Check out the modern art and high-tech architecture of the MACRO Museum.
Look for the hotel or hostel that best matches your budget, type of trip or personality. Here you can guarantee a room but you do NOT pay anything at the time of booking. Payments are only made at the hotel and there are no booking fees.
Most hotels allow cancellations with no penalty if done up to 24 or 48 hours in advance. You'll see that information at the time of booking and again in the confirmation email.
Do as the Romans and go for a panini or a cup of coffee at any of the cafés found all over the old city. Have a slice a pizza, enjoy a refreshing gelato, and sample the best Italian wines. Eating in Rome is experiencing the best of what you expect from Italian cuisine.
You think about shopping in Italy, and you think Milan. But being the grand city that it is, Rome can also be a fantastic shopping experience. From the Spanish Steps, walk straight into Via Dei Condotti, lined with the well-known luxury names from Gucci to Prada. Similar high-end designer boutiques are found on the streets nearby (Via del Babuino, Via Borgognogna, and Via Frattina). Prices tend to be a little cheaper than in London or Paris, but they also tend to offer the same products you'd find in those other cities.
For some vintage shopping, pedestrianized Via del Governo Vecchio is lined with quality second-hand and avant-garde boutiques.
Airport and Transportation